Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Stop Gun Abuse....Restrict Voting?

As I was reading through my rather large collection of quotes a few minutes ago, I came across this gem from Teddy Roosevelt:

"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends on the character of the user."
After reading it, and giving it the usual, appropriate snicker, it got me thinking; and you know what, T.R just might have a great argument for 2nd Amendment Rights in there. Consider this: what do many folks on the left lobby for on the issue of gun-control? Well, they want stricter, more effective restrictions on gun ownership and use. Why? Well, it's very simple (they say), guns kill people; thus to stop the killing, we should restrict the people who use the guns.

Sounds like a plausible line of thinking, right?

Now, consider the following argument which I will pose to you. I want stricter more efficient restrictions on voting. I want fewer people to be able to vote. Why? Well, because, as any opponent of the Iraq War will gladly tell you, electing the wrong politician gets people killed. And, naturally, we need to restrict the people who enable this killing which, in a Democracy, means 'We the (voting) People'!! So, end the violence, restrict....uh, anyone who's not a college professor from voting!!! Yeah!!

The logic doesn't sound as plausible anymore, now does it?

I haven't given this particular argument a great degree of thought, so it could still have some holes in it; however, I always take great pleasure in turning anti-2nd Amendment folks' ridiculous arguments upside-down and couldn't resist the opportunity. At the very least, it's some food for thought!

No comments:


These Messages Brought To You Courtesy of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy